Each year, the American College of Preventive Medicine (ACPM) honors six preventive medicine physicians and members of the public health community for outstanding contributions to the College and to the practice of preventive medicine.
ACPM is fortunate to have members with high caliber expertise, character and accomplishment. The 2020 Preventive Medicine Award Winners Are:
- Distinguished Service: This award honors preventive medicine physicians who have made significant, lasting contributions to ACPM and the practice of preventive medicine. Dr. Mark Johnson is the 2020 award winner, in recognition of over 30 years of service to APCM in numerous leadership roles, including the role of President. Dr. Johnson is the Executive Director of Jefferson Country Public Health, and an Associate Professor of the Colorado School of Public Health.
- Ron Davis Special Recognition: Named in honor of Dr. Ron Davis, the first preventive medicine physicians to assume the Presidency of the American Medical Association. This award recognizes outstanding contributions to the practice of preventive medicine. The 2020 award winner is Dr. Carolyn Murray, Assistant Professor of Medicine for Community and Family Medicine and The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College, and Vice-Chair of Public Health and General Preventive Medicine for the American Board of Preventive Medicine.
- William Kane Rising Star: This award honors physicians early in their careers taking on leadership roles within ACPM and the preventive medicine community. The 2020 award winner is Dr. Maria Mora-Pinzon, who serves as an Assistant Scientist, Department of Medicine – Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology, Community-Academic Aging Research Network, Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Institute at the Universtiy of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Donald Gemson Resident Award: This award honors a resident member of ACPM for outstanding achievement in community service, scholarship, research, teaching and leadership. The 2020 award winner is Dr. Hunter Jackson Smith, Captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and a resident at the Uniformed Services University and Johns Hopkins Berman Institute for Bioethics.
- Federal Preventive Medicine Officer: This award honors preventive medicine physicians in public and military service whose service to the practice of prevention and the nation has gone beyond the call of duty. The 2020 Federal Preventive Medicine Officer Award was presented to Captain Paul Jung, Director of the Division of Medicine and Dentistry, Health Reasources and Services Administration.
- President’s Award: ACPM President Dr. Stephanie Zaza, in honor of the unique circumstances the public health community now faces due to the COVID-19 pandemic, elected to honor all preventive medicine and public health physicians as the 2020 President’s Award Winners. The tireless commitment, expertise and passion of the nation’s public health workforce, in the face of a worldwide pandemic and with limited resources and support from political leadership has been beyond worthy of recognition.
Awardees were honored during ACPM’s annual membership meeting, held online June 26, 2020.
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE KICKS OFF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE 2023 CONFERENCE IN NEW ORLEANS
ACPM Statement on Biden Administration Assistant Secretary for Health, Department of Health and Human Services
Preventive Medicine Responds to COVID-19