About the ProgramAbout the Program
The first edition of the lifestyle medicine training program, Lifestyle Medicine Core Competencies, was published in 2015 through a partnership between the American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM) and the American College of Preventive Medicine (ACPM). It was built around the five domains and fifteen competencies recommended by the national consensus panel as the basis for providing quality lifestyle medicine services. In addition to the competencies, seven key modalities in lifestyle medicine were addressed. These modalities are nutrition, physical activity, sleep health, coaching behavior change, tobacco cessation, managing risky alcohol use, and emotional well-being.
The second edition continues to provide basic grounding in the field of lifestyle medicine but focuses on improving the competence and skills of a variety of healthcare providers encouraging a team approach to behavior change. It is not intended to provide in-depth learning of each competency and modality but rather to provide a solid foundation and well-rounded training on the major topics in the field including research behind lifestyle medicine as well as its clinical application.
- The Lifestyle Medicine Core Competencies program is comprised of 10 modules with 45 individual courses adding up to 32 hours of interactive content. Topic modules include:
- Core Competency Skills
- Physical Activity
- Health and Wellness Coaching
- Sleep Health
- Emotional Wellness
- Tobacco Cessation
- Alcohol Use
- Weight Management
- Target Audience
- A key concept of the Lifestyle Medicine Core Competencies Program is that it is designed and developed for a broad spectrum of healthcare providers emphasizing the need for a team approach to practicing lifestyle medicine. With this in mind, practitioners from the following professions can benefit from the curriculum.
- Preventive Medicine Physicians
- Primary Care Physicians
- Physician Specialists
- Physician Assistants / Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Physical / Occupation Therapists
- Mental Health Counselors
- Dietitians/ Nutritionists
- Health Educators
- Residents / Medical Students
- Media Used
- The Lifestyle Medicine Core Competencies education activity is composed of a series of eCourses viewed in a digital format.
- Method of Participation in the Learning Process
- Users are able to move through the eCourse at their own pace. It begins and ends with an assessment of the learner's comprehension of the subject matter. Interactive scenarios, images, audio, and video may have been added to enhance the experience.
- Term of Approval
- Release Date: November 2018
- Expiration Date: October 2021
- Access to course: 2 year access to materials starting from the date of purchase