Residents are the pipeline to the specialty of preventive medicine and public health. ACPM is positioned to support residents as they begin their journey in the field. Resident members also receive discounts and special access to programs and networking opportunities with leaders in preventive medicine and public health.
Learn how ACPM can be your professional home!
Improve Your Knowledge, Build Your Skills
- In-Service Exam
- The In-Service Exam is a 110-question exam available for preventive medicine residents in their first or second year of training. Recent graduates (within 6 months of graduation) also are welcome to enroll.
- Annual Conference
- Attend the ACPM annual conference to learn from the many plenary and concurrent sessions and network with fellow residents and leaders in the field.
- Share your research by submitting an abstract for a poster and/or an oral session for Preventive Medicine 2024.
- Apply for the Jacob and Heather Adams Scholarship to help support your travel to the annual conference.
- Online Learning and Certifications
- Take advantage of education opportunities through the development of comprehensive and evidence-based continuing medical educational (CME) courses and curriculum. Enhance your knowledge and competencies on critical topics, including chronic and infectious disease prevention, lifestyle medicine, patient safety and more!
- Enhance your knowledge to care for our nation’s Veteran’s through the Military Environmental Exposure certification. In addition, a certificate of completion is presented when you engage in the Ten Essential Public Health Services for Physicians program.
- Attend virtually the annual Daniel S. Blumenthal Lecture on Health Equity.
- AJPM and AJPM Focus
Connect with Leaders in the Field, Contribute to the College
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Committees and working groups advance the ACPM mission by providing strategic guidance, executing critical projects and programs, supporting the scientific advancement of preventive medicine and more. Residents are encouraged to volunteer for the College.
- Develop Policy and Practice Statements
- ACPM develops and advocates for public policies consistent with the scientific evidence and core principles of the preventive medicine profession. Policy positions are developed by the Advocacy Committee and approved by the Board of Regents. Practice Statements are developed by the Science and Translation Committee and approved by the Board of Regents.
- Build the Evidence Base of Preventive Medicine
- Several upcoming opportunities for residents include helping to build workshops at PM 2024 and reviewing evidence-based toolkits and/or courses. Additional information about these specific opportunities will be shared via our weekly newsletter and other communication channels. (Only for residents whose membership with ACPM is in good standing. Selection criteria will vary for each opportunity.)
- Career development programming
- Throughout the year, the College hosts virtual networking and learning events to give residents access to industry experts and the opportunity to meet fellow residents across the country.
Advocate for the Specialty
- Hill Day
- Every year, only half of accredited Preventive Medicine residency positions are filled, largely due to lack of funding and many residency programs are one budget fluctuation away from having to close more positions or the program entirely. Join ACPM on Capitol Hill to advocate for more funding for preventive medicine residencies.
- Action Center
- The ACPM Action Center makes it easy to engage with a simple avenue to connect your voice to your congressional representatives. Support preventive medicine through meaningful ACPM advocacy activities that align with the College's forward-thinking policy agenda supporting public health best-practices and the sustainable future of the prevention. Visit the ACPM Action Center and make your voice heard!
- Ambassador Program
- Bring your passion for the specialty and all things prevention and become an Ambassador of the College. From advocate for the specialty of Preventive Medicine and to sharing the important of routine vaccinations to support the prevention of HIV, the ACPM ambassador program taps into your skills set and opens doors to media opportunities, training and more.
- Virtual Career Fairs
- Join other preventive medicine physicians and represent the specialty in virtual career fairs for medical students exploring the direction for their careers.
Prepare for Your Career
- Recent Resident Graduate Rate
- Recent preventive medicine resident graduates get exclusive membership pricing for the first two years after graduating. Pricing is $250.
- Career Pathways
- Using the lens of the core competencies in preventive medicine, the ACPM Career Pathways infographic aligns the competencies with careers in each area. See where your interest and skills align!
- Practice Exams
- Practice exams deliver 125 questions of similar format and content to the Board certification exam. Get feedback on how well you assimilated review course content. Answer explanations written by course faculty are included
- Graduation Ceremony
- A live graduation ceremony hosted by ACPM leadership is held in June each year and showcases and celebrates the accomplishments of the graduating preventive medicine residency class. Watch the ACPM 2023 Preventive Medicine Residency Graduation to celebrate your peers!
- Board Review Course
- Ensure you are prepared for the ABPM exam with the ACPM Board Review Course. Access lecture recordings and study resources that cover the core content of the exam.
- Career Center
- Find your first job in preventive medicine! The ACPM Career Center gives you the opportunity to share your CV with prospective employers and search job listings specific to preventive medicine and public health.